The institutional and implementation arrangements for the project are guided by four principles that include:
- aligning with devolved systems of governance at county, sub County, and Ward levels;
- building on ongoing initiatives especially the Kenya Accountable Devolution Program and Regional Pastoralist Livelihoods Resilience Project;
- promoting coordination within the World Bank and with other partners; and
- ensuring swift funds flow and timely reporting.
- The implementation arrangement will include the engagement with existing community structures at the village level.
- A Village Level Committee (VLC) will be formed to coordinate village level Community Development Plans (CDPs).
- Ward Level Committee (WLC) will be formed to coordinate and prioritize subprojects for inclusion in work plan at the Ward level.
- Social Audit Committee (SAC) will be selected by the Village Assembly to undertake audit of project investments and report to village assembly on a quarterly basis.
The table below provides a summary of implementation arrangements from the national, county and village level.
Key structures, composition and roles
|National Project Steering Committee
|Chaired by the Chief of staff and Head of Public Services; Executive office of the President or his/her nominee:
· Governors of Turkana, Wajir and Garissa Counties or their nominees
· Representative, National Treasury
· Independent Expert
· UNHCR Country representative
· National Project Coordinator as Member Secretary
|Policy decisions, project oversight and approval of annual work plan and budget
|National Project Technical Committee
|· Permanent Secretaries of the Ministries of Water and Irrigation; Agriculture; Environment; Livestock; Fisheries; Health and Social Protection
· Representative of County Executive Committee from Turkana, Wajir and Garissa counties
|Review of annual work plan and mid-year implementation progress
|National Project Implementation Unit
|· Project coordinator
· Core team composed of sectoral experts, procurement specialist, financial management specialist, Social Safeguards Specialist, Environmental Safeguards Specialist, Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
|Implementation support and monitoring
|County Steering Committee
|Chaired by County Secretary
· Member of County Treasury
· UNHCR representative
· Independent Expert (co-opted on need basis)
· County Project Coordinator as Secretary
· Representative of the NPIU
. Area Member of Parliaments
. County Focal Point
|Approval of annual work plan and budget
|County Technical Committee
|Representatives from line Ministries and departments of Water and Irrigation, Agriculture, Environment, Education, Health, Livestock, Fisheries (where relevant)
|Appraisal of subprojects
|County Integrated Project Implementation Unit
|· County Project Coordinator (and M&E)
· County Project Focal Point
· Procurement Assistant
· Accounts Clerk
· Safeguards specialist
|Implementation support and monitoring
|Ward Level Committee
|2 representatives (one man and one woman) from each Village Level Committee
|Coordination and prioritization of subproject for inclusion in work plan at the Ward level
|Village Level Committee
|Five-member committee selected by the village assembly including women, youth and the differently abled as representatives
|Coordinate village level plans
|Social Audit Committee
|Five members selected by the Village Assembly
|Undertake audit of project investments and report to village assembly on quarterly basis
FUNDS FLOW AND DISBURSEMENT ARRANGEMENTS
The core principles guiding the funds flow arrangement are geared towards ensuring predictability and strong accountability as illustrated in the figure below.
- At the national level, the funds will flow from World Bank to NPIU US dollar Designated Account at the Central Bank of Kenya managed by the National Treasury to the NPIU Kenya Shillings Project Account at the Central Bank of Kenya.
- Transfers will be made to county project accounts based on fund requests initially supported by work plan and subsequently on replenishment basis.
- For community sub projects, funds will flow directly from the county project account to the sub project accounts at the community level through commercial banks.