Grievance redress is critical in ensuring that any problems that arise during implementation of the project are resolved before they snowball into crisis.
A structured Grievance Redress Mechanism help to manage social risks in to enhance success of the project. The National Project Implementation Unit (NPIU), County Integrated Project Implementation Unit (CIPIU), Village Grievance Committees (VGC) and sub committees have set up Grievance Redress Committees. This ensures that any complaints related to the project are dealt with at all levels. There are are clear responsibilities and reporting lines in the GRM.
In general, the following apply in KDRDIP GRM:
- All grievances are recorded in a standard format (an online form is place form will) at focal points where complaints are received. The date of receipt of grievance, nature of the grievance, action taken (and date), and resolution status is captured. The reports are collated and quarterly reports prepared and sent to NPIU.
- All grievances are registered and acknowledged within a week of receipt and responded to within three weeks of recording/entry of the complaint.
- All issues, comments and complaints are resolved, through a variety of ways – verbally, SMS, telephone or letters addressed to the relevant Grievance Redress Focal Points.
- NPIU’s Social Safeguard Specialist keeps record of all grievances based on reports received from the grievance committees. These reports are collated and included on the Social Report and posted on the project website and shared with World Bank.
- If a complainant is not satisfied with the way his/her complaint has been handled, the project will invite representatives of the local community and to participate in the process leading to the resolution of the complaint. The Complainant may seek remedies from other arbitration bodies including the Commission for Administrative Justice and courts.
- A World Bank Grievance Redress Service is available for communities and individuals who feel that they have been adversely affected by the project. They may visit the website, http://www.worldbank.org/en/projects-operations/products-and-services/grievance-redress-service.
Village Level Committees (VLCs)
- Garissa County VLCs
- Wajir County VLCs
- Turkana County VLCs